We decided that this week is going to be detox week. However, I think he would get tired of salad, raw vegetables everyday. We love asian food and some of our favourite dishes just go so well with steam rice. Hence, I’m creatively steamed rice with healthy Cauliflower “rice”.
Yes, it’s all just cauliflower. See how I do below. It’s easy, just need a little work. But all ‘s worth it when he totally enjoyed the dish.
For Kung Bao Chicken recipe, please click here
INGREDIENTS: Serves 2
1 medium head of cauliflower
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 bird’s eye chilli for the heat (optional)
2 stalk scallions, chopped
2 teaspoon or adjust to taste
1 teaspoon light soy sauce
2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Sea salt to taste
Preparing the Cauliflower
You could prepare this on the day you cook. However, I prefer to do this the day before and keep it refridgerated so that it would remove more of the moisture (Similar to preparing rics for fried rice).
There are two techniques to prepare cauliflower rice. You can either:-
1. use a box grater with the medium-size holes, traditionally used for cheese, or
2. use a food processor with the grater blade to blitz it into small pieces.
With both techniques you should work towards little pieces the size of rice or cous cous like.
3. Press any excess moisture from the “rice” to a large paper towel and squeeze or press to remove any water. Ebsure there are no excess moisture remains. Else you dish will turn out soggy.
* The lazy way, I just grab a handle of rice and squeeze the moisture out with my hands. Still works
1. Process the cauliflower into cauliflower rice. See above.
2. Add oil to a large pan over medium heat. Add the garlic, chilli and scallion, stir.
3. Add cauliflower rice, fish sauce, light soy sauce and lime juice. Cook for until cauliflower rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
4. Toss with cilantro and mix well.