Kung Pao Chicken or 宫保鸡丁is one of the popular Chinese dishes. It is a simple dish packed with flavours. It taste a little sweet, a little spicy a little sour with a hint of heat.
Ingredients: Serves 2
1 1/2 boneless & skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut to cubes, about half an inch in length and width
3 tbsp roasted cashew nuts
8 dried red chilies, seeded and cut into halves
3 tbsp oil
5 slices peeled fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, sliced diagonally
1 stalk scallion, chopped
1 tbsp cornstarch
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing rice wine
1 tsp oil
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp Chinese black vinegar
2 tbsp water
1 tsp cornstarch
1. Mix the ingredients for the marinade above and marinade the chicken. Set aside.
2. Mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
3. Heat up a wok with one tablespoon of oil and stir-fry the marinated chicken until they are 70% cook. Dish out and set aside.
4. Clean the wok and add in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil. Once heated, add in the ginger and garlic slices and do a quick stir before adding in the dried red chilies.
5. Stir fry the dried red chilies until aromatic and smell spicy, then add in the chicken meat. Stir again.
6. Add the roasted cashew nuts. Add the sauce and stir continuously until the chicken meat is nicely coated with the sauce.
7. Add in the scallions, stir to combine well with the chicken, dish out and serve immediately with steamed rice.