This is a basic simple dish that makes a good side. I’m going to leave a few tips to make that awesome smooth textured mash potato that is not over whipped.
1. Choice of potato is important. Only use Russet potato or Yukon Gold.
2. Always cut in half lengthwise. Do not cut into chunks
3. Do not put the potato into hot water. The outer of the potato would be cooked but in the middle not. Instead, placed them in a pot of cold or normal temperature water with salt and boil.
4. Do not over mashed or over whipped. It would becomes too starchy. We like it smooth yet light.
5. Do not use cold butter or cold milk. Please make sure they are warm or at least normal room temperature.
And now, you are ready to make that perfect mash potato 😊
3 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup whole milk
salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions – Serves 3 – 4
1. Place the potatoes into a large pot, and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
2. Drain, and return the potatoes to the pot. Turn heat to high, and allow the potatoes to dry for about 30 seconds. Turn off the heat.
3. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher twice around the pot, then add the butter. Mash the potatoes with the butter again twice.
4. Next add milk. Use a whisk to sort of stir in the milk with the potatoes to a smooth and fluffy texture. Whisk in the salt and black pepper until evenly distributed, about 15 seconds