Kale is a super food, and Lacinato leaves have excellent health benefits, lowering cholesterol, fighting cancer, and decreasing inflammation.
When selecting lacinato kale, do not buy lacinato kale that feels tough and paper like. It will not breakdown well and will not absorb the dressing even when you massage it.
It’s the perfect bring to work salad because it gets better as it sits. It really taste better than it looks. If you have never tried kale, today is the day to try it.
Whip this up for a healthy, clean diet lunch or dinner 😆
1 bunch lacinato kale, de-stemmed and thinly sliced
⅔ cup grated Parmesan cheese (I used pecorino cheese) you can use more or less here or omit it all together, it’s up to you
Handful of pine nuts
Handful of cranberries
1 lemon, juiced (approximately 3 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoon honey
pinch of fine sea salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper
pinch of red pepper flakes, to taste
1. Wash, de-stem and thinly slice your kale.
2. Put your kale slices into a large bowl.
3. Whisk together in a small bowl the following: lemon juice (3 tablespoons), olive oil, minced garlic, pinch of fine sea salt, pinch of freshly ground black pepper, pinch of red pepper flakes. Whisk the ingredients together well.
4. Pour the dressing over the kale and make sure to massage it well so that all the kale absorbs the dressing. You have to literally get your hands in there and massage it.
5. After your kale is massaged, add the parmesan cheese (or pecorino cheese) and the pine nuts. Toss again.
6 Let the kale rest for at least 5 minutes to an hour. This salad can be made hours ahead of time or even the day before.