I was just rummaging through my fridge wondering what I should cook for my son for lunch.
Found a packet of awesome Mentaiko brought back from Japan by my friend. Decided to do a simple Mentaiko Pasta.
The mentaiko looks pale in the picture, it’s just the type of mentaiko you buy really. But taste awesome.
I ran out of shredded nori. So I just top mine off with parsley, well improvise 😄
Ingredients: Serves 1
– 60 grams (or one small sac) spicy ‘karashi’ mentaiko sac (辛子明太子)
– 1 serving (about 70 grams) spaghetti (or any favourite pasta)
– sea salt to taste
(A) Mentaiko Sauce
– 30 grams butter cubed and melted in the microwave
– 2 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
– 2 tsp sake
– 1 tsp mentaiko (set aside)
– shredded nori (roasted seaweed)
– finely shredded baby shiso or finely chopped spring onions
1. Make a slit on the mentaiko sac and scrap out the roe with a spoon. Discard the membrane. Set aside 1 tsp of roe for garnishing.
2. In a small bowl, add the mentaiko along with (A). Whisk to combine everything together.
3. Cook pasta in salted water until al dente. Drain pasta and reserve a small cup of pasta water.
4. Add the mentaiko sauce to the drained pasta while it is still hot. Toss until even. If the pasta is too dry, add a bit of reserved pasta water to help bind the ingredients together.
5. Dish the pasta to a serving plate. Garnish with mentaiko, shredded nori and shiso or spring onions.