Another of my favourite Soft bread with butter and topped with sugar. Its so good I usually have more than I should.
My mum’s recipe and she bakes it best.
Ingredients: 12 nos.
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
3 cups bread flour
2 tsp lemon peel (finely chopped)
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp dry yeast
1/4 tsp salt
12 pcs of firm butter strips (1cm thickness x 5cm length
1. Put everything in A into bread machine in the order I listed
2. Press “Dough” option on the bread machine. And let the machine do the work
3. When ready, punch down the dough and allow it to rise, about 10mins
4. Punch down and get ready to shape.
5. Shape dough into 12 balls and onto baking sheet/tray. Allow 40mins to rise to almost double in size
6. Snip center of each ball so that it opens up.
7. Place strip of the firm butter into the opened slits. Brush egg wash then sprinkle on the caster sugar
8. Put to bake in preheated oven 190°C for 15 – 18mins.
9. When done take it out of the baking tray and cool it on wire rack