Spaghetti vongole, is an Italian classic. Light yet flavorful pasta infused with garlic, briny clams, white wine, and chilli.
One of my favourite pasta and it is easy to whip up.
INGREDIENTS, serves 4
500 g (1 packet) of Spaghetti or Linguine
4 Garlic cloves, chopped
4 bird’s eye chilli, chopped (or adjust according to what heat intensity you can handle)
Parsley, chopped about 1/2 cup
cherry tomatoes (optional)
1.5 kg of Clams
Dry white wine, about 1 cup
Chopped parsley to serve
1. Fill a large pot of salted water and bring to a fierce boil.
2. Take your spaghetti or linguine, drop it into the pot, stir so that they don’t get stuck to the bottom and let it bubble away for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. While the pasta is boiling, put a large frying pan on the stove with a little olive oil. Heat it up and drop in garlic, chilli and parsley mix for about 15 seconds, then add a the white wine and let the alcohol evaporate.
4. Drop your clams in, followed by the cherry tomatoes. Cover with a lid. The clams will take about 2 to 3 minutes to open up and release their juices. Once opened, picked the clams out and set aside. This is to prevent overcooking the clams
5. Drop your 3/4 cooked pasta from the pot into the large frying pan of vongole and wine juice. Stir and mix well.
6. Turn off the heat and add your cooked vongole (clams), mix well. Add chopped up parsley leaves and extra chilli, if you like it.