Chicken Adobo, a popular filipino dish with that whole combination of sweet, salty and vinegar.
Easy to prepare and definitely delicious…
8 chicken drumsticks
¾ cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup light soy sauce
3 Tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp ground black pepper
1 Tbsp finely grated ginger
6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 brown onion, halved and sliced
1 long red chilli, finely sliced
4 bay leaves
¼ cup sliced spring onion
1. Mix together the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, pepper, ginger and half the chopped garlic.
2. Pour over the vinegar mixture over the chicken. Toss to coat. Cover and set aside in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large, heavy-based pan over high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade and cook (about 3-4 minutes each side) until golden brown. Reserve the marinade for later. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
4. Using the same pan, on medium-high heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil. Add the onion and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring for about 5 minutes or until the onions have coloured and are soft. Add the garlic and chilli and cook for another minute. Add the chicken pieces, reserved marinade, bay leaves and ¼ cup water. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Transfer chicken pieces to the serving bowl or plate. Put sauce over medium-high heat and simmer for 15 minutes to thicken slightly. Pour sauce over chicken pieces and scatter over the spring onion.