You can have this on its own, as an appetizer or even as sides.
Simple and healthy. Everyone loves it.
2 tbsp liquid Miso (if you are not using liquid miso, just mix 2tbsp miso + 1tbsp water)
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp mirin sweet rice wine (optional)
¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes
3 Japanese eggplants or 2 Chinese eggplants
½ tbsp sesame seeds
1 ea.spring onion (finely sliced)
3 Cilantro stalks, chopped
1. Preheat broiler with the rack about 4 inches from the heat source.
2. Line the baking pan with parchment paper and spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
3. In a small bowl, combine miso, sugar, mirin, and red chilli pepper flakes and mix well. Set aside.
4. Slice the eggplants in half lengthwise from the stem to bottom creating boat-like halves. If you use Chinese eggplants, cut each boat-like half crosswise for a good size.
5. With the tip of a knife score the flesh, about 1/4 inch deep 3-4 times across the eggplants.
6. Place the eggplants flesh side down and broil until the outer skin browns and softens, about 5 minutes. Turn the eggplants flesh side up and brush on the mixture from step
7. Broil the eggplant again until glaze starts to brown and sizzle, about 5 minutes.
8. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, spring onion, and cilantro. Serve immediately.