Another rather easy, one pot meal. This dish would have more sauce. It’s a flavourful saucy bee hoon.Have it with sambal belachan chilli and a squeeze of lime…The broth, I used the leftover prawn broth from cooking Hokkien mee previously. If the broth is not enough as you cook. You can add water.
Ingredients: Serves 6-7
- 500 g vermicelli (soak for at least an hour)
- 800ml water
- 350g (about 15-20 medium pieces) glass prawns – shelled and deveined
- 500g clams
- 2 or 3 dried scallops (optional)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 breast or boneless chicken thigh (marinate with 2 tsp fish sauce and 1 egg)
2 tsp salt (adjust to taste)
3 Dashes of white pepper (adjust to taste)
1 – 2 small limes – halved
1. Rinse the prawns, peel off the shells and remove the veins. Keep the shells and head aside for the stock. To prepare the prawn stock, put the shells and heads in a medium pot and stir fry for a minute until fragrant.
3. Add in water and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 20-25 mins under low heat.
4. Clean and remove skin and gut from the squid. Leave the squid whole.5. When the stock is ready, discard all the shells in the stock.
6. Turn up the heat of the stock and add in dried scallops. Cover once boil, turn down to simmer 10 mins.7. Add chicken marinated with fish sauce and one egg. You will notice the soup turns milky.8. Add the vermicelli. Ensure enough water. If not, add hot water. Cover and boil 5mins.
9. Add prawns and clams. Stir to mix well. Add salt to taste. Next add in vegetables last. Stir well. If not saucy enough, add water and let it boil. Turn off fire and serve.