Kale is one of my favourite for salad and I am going to give it a little twist so that I could change the mind of those who don’t usually enjoy kale.
I am going to prepare Kale Caeser Salad.
1 tablespoon drained capers
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 lemon, juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
Freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 bunches kale, stemmed and torn into bite-size pieces
1 cup croutons
1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
Handful of pinenuts (I toasted them in my skillet over the stove) – optional
For the dressing:
1. Mince the capers and the garlic; add the salt and use the back of your knife to grind into a paste.
2. Add the paste to a medium mixing bowl along with the mustard, mayonnaise, sesame oil, cayenne and cloves. Whisk to combine.
3. Stir in lemon juice, and add pepper to taste.
For the salad:
1. Combine the kale and 1 cup of the dressing in a large bowl, and toss to coat.
2. Let sit for about 30 minutes in the refrigerator to tenderize the kale.
3. Before serving, top the salad with the croutons, pine nuts and shaved Parmesan. If the kale is too dry, add more dressing as needed.
4.Serve immediately, with remaining dressing on the side.