I always enjoy a good crispy roast pork. Skin was crackling and meat was juicy. Enjoying it with mustard. So good!
Goes well with steam rice or on it’s own.
2kg pork belly
2 pieces preserved red bean curd (紅腐乳/南乳) (you can leave this out if you don’t have this, pork will still taste good)
3 tbsp juice of preserved red bean curd (optional)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (normal sugar is fine too)
2 tsp five spice powder
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp Shaoxing wine
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1. Mix together preserved red beacurd, the juice of the red beancurd, salt, oyster sauce, sugar, five spice powder Shaoxing wine, and white pepper in a bowl.
2. Systematically poke holes all over the skin, which will help the skin crisp up, rather than stay smooth and leathery. Make sure not to poke too deeply.The more holes you poke, the more blistering there would be later.
3. Turn the meat over, and cut some slits on the meat. Spread and rub on the marinade. Make sure that the marinade gets onto the sides too. Do not spread this on the skin.
4. Turn the meat back around. Dry the skin thoroughly with a kitchen towel.
5. Pour the remaining marinate into a tray/ dish that is about the size as the meat. Transfer the meat into the tray/ dish, with the skin facing up. Make sure that the skin is REALLY dry. Place the entire tray (uncovered) in the fridge over night for the skin to dry out.
6. Take the pork out of the fridge and place the tray on the kitchen counter an hour before roasting. Pre heat your oven to 180°C when about ready to roast.
7. Lift the meat onto a wire rack set over a tray which has been lined with aluminium foil. Poke more holes on the skin again
8. Apply rice vinegar on the skin. Afterwhich, apply a thick layer of salt over the DRY skin.
9. Roast the pork for 40 minutes at 180°C. Check if meat is cook. If not put in back in to further cook it.
10. Remove the pork from the oven. Pre heat the oven to around 240°C. If you have a grill function on your oven, switch to that.
11. While waiting for the oven to pre heat, carefully scrape the salt off the pork
12. Return the pork into the oven for about 30 minutes. The skin will start to crackle and pop.Keep an eye on the pork during the last 10 minutes. If there is smoke, oven the oven door to let the smoke out.
13. Once done, let the pork rest for 15 minutes before cutting to serve. This is important!