Risotto is all about patience and a good stock.
Not exactly a dish for those on detox or diet but so flavourful it’s worth having this on a cheat day 🤣
Ingredients, Serves 4
1 brown onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
320g (2 cups) of Carnaroli or Arborio rice
1 cup of dry white wine
4-5 cups of stock (preferably home-made)
1 tsp of saffron strands
2 tbsp of butter
1/4 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
6-8 prawns, peeled and devein
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fry the onion in olive oil and 1 tablespoon of butter, add pinch of salt and cook till onion softened.
2. Add the rice and allow every grain to be coated with the oil and to slightly toast over medium heat.
3. Add the white wine and allow for the alcohol to evaporate, stirring gently. (Careful not to overstir it and release the starch early)
4. Turn the heat down and start adding the stock a ladleful at a time, while stirring gently. Taste for salt and adjust accordingly. Keep adding stock until the rice is cooked, this will take around 15 – 18 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and add a generous amount of parmigiano, a tablespoon of butter and one ladeful of stock. Add the saffron and prawns. Stir vigourously to release the starch.
6. Cover with a lid and let it rest for a few minutes to create the perfect creaminess. Serve hot in a shallow bowl.