This is my mum’s recipe. And is one of my favourite! Easy, one dish meal. Baked and so flavourful. Looks like Briyani in the picture but is not. No Ghee etc. Just olive oil, capsicum, tomatoes and chicken (I removed the skin).
Basmati rice is used in this recipe. If you think rice is just rice, one good reason why Basmati is best and why to choose Basmati over ordinary rice. Basmati is a healthy ‘SUPERGRAIN’. Basmati is gluten-free and low in fat. It contains all eight essential amino acids, folic acid, and is very low in sodium and has no cholesterol.
If you are one of those that simply love your rice but worried about carbs. This is definitely a great alternative.
Ingredients Serves 5
4 -5 chicken drumsticks
2 large onions, chopped
3 capsicum (1 yellow, 1 red, 1 green)
4 cloves garlic, chopped
5 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced (or 14 1/2 oz canned diced tomatoes, drained)
3 cups basmati rice
1tbsp chopped fresh oregano
2 tbsp olive oil
Salt & black pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (extra for garnish)
2 1/2 cup chicken stock
1. Pan fry chicken in batches till brown on all sides. Remove, sprinkle with salt ans black pepper and put aside.
2. Add onions and capsicum to same pan till soft about 7 mins.
3. Add garlic and cilantro. Saute for 1 min.
4. Add tomatoes and cook on medium heat for 2mins.
5. Add chicken and stock. Cover lid and simmer low heat for 30mins.
6. Stir in the rice and oregano. Simmer for 10mins.
7. Bake in preheated oven 190° for 30mins.
*For stove cooking, use stainless steel or enamel lined cast iron casserole. Low heat and stir occasionally until the rice is cooked and dry.