This is such an easy dish and the mandarin orange peel brings a nice fragrant yet good balance.
- 8 large prawns, about 160 gm
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp minced shallot
- 1 piece dried mandarin peel, soaked in warm water
- 1 tsp shaoxing wine
- spring onion, finely chopped, white and green parts separated
Seasonings for Prawns:
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 tsp corn flour / corn starch
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- ½ tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp water for soaking dried mandarin peel
- Rinse the prawns and pat dry. Shell the prawns leaving their tails intact. Devein the prawns. Mix with the seasonings. Set aside.
- Use a spoon to scrape away the inner rind of the mandarin peel. Finely Shred.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Sauté the garlic, shallot, mandarin peel and white parts of spring onion until aromatic. Toss in the prawns. Cook until both sides start to change colour. (Remark: you don’t need to cook through the prawns at this stage.)
- Add the wine and sauce. Quickly stir to combine. Cook until the prawns are just cooked. Remove from the heat and stir in the green parts of spring onion. Serve immediately.